Surrounded as we are by all things beautiful, we tend to find style in everything we encounter—including our food and drink. Home cook, writer, and photographer Amanda Biddle—who many know by her culinary moniker The Striped Spatula—celebrates the beauty of fresh ingredients in both “quick-fix” and “all-day” gourmet recipes (and everything in between) on her blog and on Instagram. Below, her take on an autumnal classic inspired by the brightly hued bounty of the season—and perfect for the chilly days to come.
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 4 lbs.), peeled, cleaned, and cut into 1½-inch cubes (alternatively, purchase 3½ pounds of pre-cut squash cubes)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- toasted pumpkin seeds and sage leaves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil. Toss squash cubes on the pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil to coat, followed by ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, and ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Roast 40–45 minutes, until squash is fork-tender, flipping cubes with a thin spatula halfway through.
- When squash has 10 minutes remaining to roast, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5–8 minutes.
- Stir in chopped sage and thyme and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add roasted squash cubes and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ¾ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano. Use an immersion blender to puree soup in the pot until smooth, or transfer in batches to a blender or food processor. Stir in heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup garnished with additional Parmigiano-Reggiano, sage leaves, and toasted pumpkin seeds, if desired.